“In Attitudes of Gratitude, M. J. Ryan teaches readers how to unlock the fullness of their hearts and lives through the expression of gratitude. “Gratitude helps us to return to our natural state of joyfulness,” she writes, “where we notice what’s right instead of what’s wrong. It makes us feel complete, that we have everything we need, at least in this moment.” In her introduction to this 10th anniversary edition, Ryan recounts current research that bolsters her original thinking–people who practice gratitude on a daily basis are, by and large, happier, healthier, and more effective in the world. She also shares with readers brand new, top 10 gratitude practices, which readers of the first edition and people she’s taught and counseled over the years have provided to her. The concept of this book is very simple and very profound: “Gratitude creates happiness.” It’s a fact of life (and science as it turns out). Plants create carbon dioxide and gratitude creates happiness” (Amazon summary).
- How can gratitude be magical?
- What methods have you used to experience gratitude in your life? To focus on gratitude in your life?
- What emotional and physical benefits have you noted from gratefulness?
- What additional benefits come from being grateful?
- How is Lauren empowered by gratitude?
Chapter 1: The Simply Joy of Living from a Grateful Heart
- How would you describe happiness?
- What can you learn by studying joy, happiness, optimism, faith and trust?
- How can challenges lead one to gratitude?
- How can gratitude be a magical key?
- What is your happy moment? What positive emotions does it create?
Chapter 2: The Gifts of Gratitude
- How does relishing in the journey improve life?
- How are gratitude and youthfulness related?
- How would you answer the question: What did I do today that I feel good about?
- How does gratitude widen a frame of vision?
- How is gratitude the antidote for worrying?
- What impact has worrying had in your life?
- How can you start the day off on a positive note?
- How can bitterness destroy life?
- How does gratitude relate to abundancy?
- What relationship exists between materialism, consumerism and gratitude?
- How does gratitude open the heart?
- How does gratitude beget generosity?
Chapter 3: Attitudes of Gratitude
- How can you count on?
- How can you start your day with gratitude?
- How can you believe trials and challenges will bring positive consequences?
- How can you get gratitude to flow naturally?
- How can you promote an attitude of gratitude?
- What is hidden in the darkness of your life waiting to be exposed by light?
- How can you cultivate gratitude?
- How is gratitude related to the law of abundance?
- What correlation exists between self-esteem and gratitude?
- Why do you need to understand your purpose to understand gratitude?
- What triggers can you use to cultivate and ignite gratitude in your life?
- How is gratitude a spiral?
Chapter 4: The Practices of Gratitude
- How can attitudes turn to action?
- How can you exercise your gratitude muscles?
- What daily ritual can help focus on gratitude?
- What ordinary items do you take for granted?
- What blocks your feelings of gratitude?
- Do you need to practice forgiveness to practice gratitude?
- Do comparison and competition chase away feelings of ingratitude?
- Why is happiness an inside job?
- How can expectations kill gratitude and joy?
- How can you balance goals and betterment with appreciating your present?
- How can you slow down to appreciate life?
- What is an asset focus?
- How can you cultivate contentment?
- What is “gratitude is an all out experience?”
- How are trials teachers?
- How would you receive a Thanksgiving card?
- How would your friends and family react to a thanksgiving card?
- When was the last time you received a thank you card? How did it make you feel?
- How can gratitude improve your relationships?
- What would you do with your last day on earth?
Chapter 5: The Deepening Journey
- How does one train with gratitude?
- How does gratitude deepen the soul?
- Do you agree or disagree with the levels of gratitude? Why or why not?
- What would you add to the gratitude list?
- How can challenges bring blessings?
By Tracy Atkinson
Tracy Atkinson, mother of six, lives in the Midwest with her husband. She is a teacher, having taught elementary school to higher education, holding degrees in elementary education and a master’s in higher education. Her passion is researching, studying and investigating the attributes related to self-directed learners. She has published several titles, including Calais: The Annals of the Hidden, Lemosa: The Annals of the Hidden, Book Two, Rachel’s 8 and Securing Your Tent. She is currently working on a non-fiction text exploring the attributes of self-directed learners: The Five Characteristics of Self-directed Learners.