Bestselling author Randy Alcorn introduced readers to a revolution in material freedom and radical generosity with the release of the original The Treasure Principle in 2001. Now the revision to the compact, perennial bestseller includes a provocative new concluding chapter depicting God asking a believer questions about his stewardship over material resources. Readers are moved from the realms of thoughtful Bible exposition into the highly personal arena of everyday life. Because when Jesus told His followers to “lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,” He intended that they discover an astounding secret: how joyful giving brings God maximum glory and His children maximum pleasure. Discover a joy more precious than gold!
Priceless treasure is within your reach. And with it, liberating joy.
In Randy Alcorn ’s The Treasure Principle, you’ll unearth a radical teaching of Jesus—a secret wrapped up in giving. Once you discover this secret, life will never look the same. And you won’t want it to! (Amazon summary).
- How does hidden treasure bring joy?
- How is there joy in giving?
Chapter 1: Buried Treasure
- Why does the author start with an analogy?
- What impact does the analogy have on the rest of the chapter?
- How does treasure change attitude?
- How can dreams change lives?
- What paradigm shifts have you experiences in this life? What did you learn from them?
- How did you implement these lessons in your life?
- What correlation exists between one’s spiritual life and one’s financial life?
- What short term sacrifices are you willing to make to gain a long-term reward?
- How would you define selfishness?
- How do you store treasures?
Chapter 2: Compounding Joy
- What would your life look like to give up complete control? What could you learn from this lifestyle?
- How does one adopt a steward mentality?
- How does giving bring joy?
- How are we robbed of joy when we don’t give?
Chapter 3: Eyes on Eternity
- What is the explanation for life?
- Randy Alcorn speaks of credits in an eternal account. Are the debits? If so, what?
- What regular deposits have you been making?
- How does the heart learn to follow the money?
- Are you despairing or rejoicing?
Chapter 4: Roadblocks to Giving
- What types of greed exist?
- Are there lessons to be learned from greed? If so, what?
- How is giving living for the line?
- How does materialism become a plague and an obsession?
- How do possessions enslave?
- At what point do all things become meaningless?
Chapter 5: Getting Started
- Where can you start?
- How can you give more?
- What expectations do you have for yourself in giving?
- How can you get on the road to giving?
- What does it mean to give beyond your ability?
Chapter 6: For Such a Time as This
- What did you learn from Alfred Nobel?
- How does the remorse of Oskar Schindler touch your life? Does it change your perspective?
- What does your obituary say?
- What are you doing with your wealth?
- Should giving be secret or not? Why or why not?
By Tracy Atkinson
Tracy Atkinson, mother of six, lives in the Midwest with her husband and spirited long-haired miniature dachshunds. She is a teacher, having taught elementary school to higher education, holding degrees in elementary education and a master’s in higher education. Her passion is researching, studying and investigating the attributes related to self-directed learners. She has published several titles, including MBTI Learning Styles: A Practical Approach, The Art of Learning Journals, Calais: The Annals of the Hidden, Lemosa: The Annals of the Hidden, Book Two, Rachel’s 8 and Securing Your Tent. She is currently working on a non-fiction text exploring the attributes of self-directed learners: The Five Characteristics of Self-directed Learners.