Do upperclassmen have tricks to success in higher education? YES!
Starting off in higher education can be difficult. It was difficult for me when I sent my oldest off to school to the other side of the country. Preparing her to leave was a feat! An Olympian feat! Packing. Purchasing. Clearing out her home bedroom. Preparing her schedule at school. Organizing financial aid. Learning about housing. I soon felt like my lists were making lists of their own! My planner bulged with tasks and I kept shoving more into it! I was overwhelmed, but I learned some vital tips to help my daughter succeed at school.
Tips of the upperclassman -to do in the first days on campus:
- Know where essential offices are.
- Financial aid, Bursar, Registrar, Dean of Students, Academic Advising, Career Center, Health Center
- Know library and computer lab locations.
- Find classrooms before classes start.
- Buy books early.
- Talk to upper class men -ask them for their best tips and advice.
- Be prepared for a lifestyle change.
- Know department leads -undergraduate head, dean, department head, academic advisor, etc.
- Get off campus and see what is in the surrounding community.
- Go to your professors’ office hours and meet them.